Conservation Internship Program
Conservation Internship Program
This program is designed to provide participants with the practical knowledge and experience that they will need to become professionals in conservation. They work with rescued species that require specialized care, with the ultimate goal of releasing them back into the wild, and help our resident animals, unable to be released, to have a healthy and enriched life.
This internship is aimed at professionals or students of any career related with Animal Sciences, Animal Care and Husbandry or Wildlife Conservation. You can use this internship to improve your resume, better your skills and practical experience. We recommend a longer stay for the best experience, there are also discounts for longer stays. The participants of this program, in addition to participating in all animal welfare activities, are guided by our professionals to obtain specific objectives or complete projects that are required to accomplish their professional goals.
Internship Program tasks:
- Supporting the rescue and rehabilitation primates, felines, sloths and other wildlife animals
- Support with cleaning enclosures
- Preparation of food supplements and their delivery to the enclosures
- Supporting the enrichment programs for the animals
- Monitoring behavior of assigned species
- Support of environmental education at RAREC, and English classes for children in neighboring schools
- Observing behavioral changes
- Foraging for native foods of animals such as insects, plants, flowers
- Support in the camera traps project
- Support in the maintenance or improvement of enclosures and paths for animal’s walks
- Support in the rehabilitation process, some animals may be taken from their enclosures for exercise and to practice wild behaviors, this activity is done in shifts and under staff supervision.
- Learn about wildlife rehabilitation
- Monitoring released manatees (for stays longer than 1 month): manatees are followed by VHF technology in their natural habitat for up to 4 days.
We have a strict no contact policy. Physical contact with the animals will be limited, assistance with procedures will be at the discretion of the professionals in charge and based on experience level.
As a rescue and rehabilitation center, the species that are found at the time you choose to come will not always be the same as they were at other times, nor can we promise that you will find a specific species in rehabilitation.
- Professionals or students in Animal Sciences, Wildlife Conservation or related careers
- Good listening skills and capable of following instructions
- 18 plus years old
- Physically and mentally healthy and able to do physical activity in humid environment.
- Medical insurance
- Rabies and tetanus vaccination
- Can be booked from a minimum of 2 weeks to more
- Letter about your professional expectations throughout your stay
Initial Dates: Mondays and Fridays
Contribution request for Wildlife Conservation Internship Program:
Please send us an email to request information about the donation that we request for the operation of our conservation and education projects, the donation also covers the expenses of the program.
The program includes accomodations, all meals and extra activities, please check the details here.
Note: Your donation ensures you can change your dates until December 2024 if for any reason you can't travel as planned.
What is included in the programs:
- All programs include the transportation outside RAREC for activities related to the program such as rescues, veterinary care, etc.
- Stays of at least one week, include one ride on the Amazon River in a boat to spot pink river dolphins.
- RAREC provides immediate transportation to a medical center in the event of the participant's need, medical expenses are the responsibility of the participant.
- Guidance and advice from the Volunteer Coordinator about activities or tours on your days off.
What is not included:
- International or national flights to or from Iquitos.
- Transportation outside RAREC for personal affairs or purchases, and days-off.
- Visa procedures (Check in this link if you need a visa to enter Perú.
To apply for a volunteer spot, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, we will send you the Application Form.
When you fill it, send it to us via email (email@example.com). Please be aware that the submission of your application does not guarantee acceptance for a volunteer position, so you should avoid making any travel arrangement until you have received acceptance confirmation from us.
As soon as you send your completed Application Form, and we confirm your reservation and total donation amount, you can make the deposit through:
Bank account that will be provided by our email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Official Paypal account email@example.com (this is the only one we currently use).
After confirming the receipt of the deposit, we will send you the confirmation of your reservation through a Certificate of Registration.
The Registration Certificate ensures an open reservation that can be used on any date until December 2024 (depending on availability).
We will also send you the Bio-Safety and Coexistence Rules, Welcome to RAREC document and the Guide to prepare your trip to RAREC.