Veterinary and Animal Sciences Internship Program
Facing a rapidly changing future in conservation
A long term vision of conservation goals is necessary in order to protect endangered and threatened species in the Amazon Rainforest. As we work to save endangered wildlife in the present, we must also prepare for the challenges that future generations of conservationists will face in the Amazon of tomorrow.
This program is designed to provide participants with the practical knowledge and experience that they will need, to become conservationists in a rapidly changing world. A multi-layered approach to training that encompasses the many diverse and unique aspects of conservation programs focused in this extremely sensitive region of our planet.
The program focus on protocols and techniques currently being applied in the care and rehabilitation of different wildlife species.
The program is aimed at:
- Undergraduate students of the Veterinary Medicine or Animal Sciences, from the second year of their degree.
- Professionals already graduated with experience, this program can also be adapted to your level of knowledge, and you will be able to share experiences and learn about working techniques with South American veterinary doctors specialized in working with rescued endemic species.
Activities in the Internship Program
- These activities are based on a professional or educational background
- Support in the animal’s treatment, assistance in the administration of medicines and monitoring of animal health in the clinic
- Assist our Vet in the rescues of manatees, primates, ocelots and other Wildlife species
- We have 5 adult manatees that have concluded their pre-release process and they are ready to be released in 2022. After the release of the manatees and the post-release monitoring stage, we will write the study of their migratory routes and their adaptation to other groups of manatees.
- Organize dog and cat population control, spay and neutering campaigns for communities.
- Supervision in preparation of food, milk for the calves, feeding, monitoring of growth, eating and behavior of the animal to detect any incidents.
- Implementation of enrichment programs for animals, monitoring the behavior of a group of assigned animals. The intern will take time with the animals under their care, observe them and make notes about their individual and group behavior. Interns will conduct research on the captive care of that species, contribute or test activities that can develop their skills and improve their quality of life
- Implementation of adaptation programs for possible release. (The animals are taken to free areas, this activity is done in shifts and supervised by the staff)
- Implementation of a research study or observation that you wish to carry out at the request of your study center.
- Implement improvements in protocols, processes or monitoring formats in favor of animal welfare.
- Conservation plans for endangered species: support in the development of our conservation plan for spider monkeys and wooly monkeys, which are threatened species. RAREC has the largest number of rescued endangered white bellied spider monkeys currently in captivity. The recovery of numerous wooly monkeys has enabled us to begin the formation of troops. Our current efforts are focused on creating natural islands for the survival of the species to later be reintroduced and repopulate declining areas of the Amazon where they once thrived.
Note: In this program, interns will receive theoretical and practical classes scheduled throughout their stay and will assist in all the medical activities guided for our on-site vet.
Please confirm your interest in this program to send you the Syllabus of the topics to work on.
- Minimum length of stay required: 3 weeks
- From the second year of studies in veterinary science or related sciences
- ≥18 years old
- Interns should be physically and mentally healthy and able to work in humid environment
Donation for participation:US$60 per night, per person
January DiscountsFrom 3 weeks and 1 day to 5 weeks - US$50 per night, per person
In order to make your reservation, please fill the Application Form, send it to firstname.lastname@example.org and confirm you will take the discount.
Note: The deposit in advance ensures you to set your dates when you want until December 2023. If for any reason the participants can´t schedule their travel until December 2023, you can reschedule in the future just paying the rate difference.
What is included:
- Apart from the above details, all programs include the transportation outside RAREC in case we carry out activities related to the program such as rescues, veterinary care, etc.
- In addition, for stays of at least one week, it is included one boat ride in the Amazon River to see the dolphins in their habitat or one boat ride in the Itaya River to float down in inner tubes.
What is not included:
- International flight tickets to or from Iquitos.
- Visa procedures (Check in this link if you need a visa to enter Perú)
- Transportation outside RAREC in case of personal affairs or purchases.
- RAREC provides immediate transportation to a medical center in the event of the participant's need, medical expenses are the responsibility of the participant.
To apply for a volunteer spot please send us the following documents:
- Completed Application Form
- A short motivation letter (250 words max.), explaining why you would like to participate in the Internship Program with us, including any previous experience in a related area
- A photocopy of your passport
These documents can be sent to us via email (email@example.com) Please be aware that the submission of your application does not guarantee acceptance for a internship position, so you should avoid making any travel arrangement until you have received acceptance confirmation from us.
As soon as you send your completed Application Form, and we confirm your reservation and total donation amount, you can make the deposit through:
Bank account that will be provided by our email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Official Paypal account email@example.com (this is the only one we currently use).
After confirming the receipt of the deposit, we will send you the confirmation of your reservation through a Certificate of Registration.
If the payment was made in advance, the Registration Certificate ensures an open reservation that can be used on any date until December 2022, with priority to reserve the dates you are going to travel.
We will also send you the Bio-Safety and Coexistence Regulation, the Book of Animals rescued in RAREC and the Guide to prepare your trip to RAREC.