Volunteers make us strong
The Rainforest Awareness Rescue and Education Center offers an unparalleled volunteer program, open to students and conservationists from around the world.
By choosing to be a volunteer, you are making a real, lasting difference for the preservation of the Amazon. Volunteers aid in the preservation of endangered species, in the implementation of education programs and community outreach, and in reforestation efforts. RAREC's approach to conservation seeks not only to defend the present-day Amazon, but to protect the Amazon of the future -- by providing the people with the tools they need to save the Rainforest. And it is our volunteers who help us make the change that the Amazon needs, today.
Activities for volunteers in the Regular Program:
- Supporting the rescue and rehabilitation of manatees, primates, ocelots and other wildlife
- Support in cleaning areas
- Preparation of food supplements and their delivery to the enclosures
- Bottle feeding babies and calves
- Support enrichment programs for animals
- Monitoring behavior of assigned species
- Introducing external elements to their enclosures
- Observing behavioral changes
- Forage for native foods of animals such as insects, plants, flowers. The search can be taking the animals to forage themselves or collecting leaves and bringing them to their enclosures.
- Support in the process of adaptation for a possible release, the animals are taken to free areas, this activity is done in shifts and under staff supervision.
- Implementation of improvements in different common areas such as signs, boards, etc. In order to improve the organization of the rescue center and the staff
- Organization of environmental education at RAREC, and English classes for children in neighboring schools. Another path to achieve our objectives at RAREC is through environmental education and sustainable development. It is not essential for the volunteers to speak Spanish, as RAREC staff will always be supporting and leading the classes. The volunteers will contribute their ideas and organization of topics to achieve the goal. This is an excellent opportunity to learn and practice basic Spanish
- Support in medical campaigns to communities.
- No specific experience necessary, but good team working skills are necessary
- An interest in wildlife conservation
- ≥18 years old (Under 18s must be accompanied by a responsible adult)
- Volunteers should be physically and mentally healthy and able to work in humidity
Contribution request for Regular Volunteer Program:
US$60 per night, per person
Reservation is confirmed after deposit of 100% of the total at least 2 weeks before your arrival.
From 1 week and 1 day to 3 weeks - US$55 per night, per person
Reservation confirmed after deposit of 100% of the total, until January 31st.
From 3 week and 1 day to 5 weeks - US$50 per night, per person
Reservation confirmed after deposit of 50% of the total, until January 31st. Deposit of the pending amount, 2 weeks before your arrival.
From 5 weeks and 1 day to 8 weeks - US$45 per night, per person
Reservation confirmed after deposit of 40% of the total, until January 31st. Deposit of the pending amount, 2 weeks before your arrival.
From 8 weeks and 1 day to more - US$40 per night, per person
Reservation confirmed after deposit of 30% of the total, until January 31st. Deposit of the pending amount, 2 weeks before your arrival.
- Full meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner). You must confirm if you have any special diet such as vegan, vegetarian, or food allergies. Fruits and drinks available anytime.
- Shared room (rooms for 2 people or 4 people), made of concrete and wood, very comfortable, with individual beds and bunk beds, fan and mosquito net in windows and beds.
- Electricity all day in all rooms.
- Shared bathrooms with access to water and warm water in the showers.
- Very quiet work environment to perform daily activities and relax and study at night.
- Outdoor recreation room with fan, hammocks, movie projector, board games and music.
- Outdoor dining room with a free use kitchen, refrigerator for personal food and drinks, coffee maker and microwave oven.
- Laundry room for free use.
- Wi-Fi in volunteers and staff areas.
- Each volunteer will be provided with RAREC t-shirts and rain boots, while their stay last.
- Pick up and drop off in Iquitos Airport included for stays of minimum 7 days.
Note: The deposit in advance ensures you to set your dates when you want until December 2023. If for any reason the participants can´t schedule their travel until December 2023, you can reschedule in the future just paying the rate difference.
What is included:
- Apart from the above details, all programs include the transportation outside RAREC in case we carry out activities related to the program such as rescues, veterinary care, etc.
- In addition, for stays of at least one week, it is included one boat ride in the Amazon River to see the dolphins in their habitat or one boat ride in the Itaya River to float down in inner tubes (dry season).
What is not included:
- International flight tickets to or from Iquitos.
- Visa procedures (Check in this link if you need a visa to enter Perú)
- Transportation outside RAREC in case of personal affairs or purchases.
- RAREC provides immediate transportation to a medical center in the event of the participant's need, medical expenses are the responsibility of the participant.
To apply for a volunteer spot please send us the following documents:
- Completed Application Form
- A photocopy of your passport
These documents can be sent to us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) Please be aware that the submission of your application does not guarantee acceptance for a volunteer position, so you should avoid making any travel arrangement until you have received acceptance confirmation from us.
As soon as you send your completed Application Form, and we confirm your reservation and total donation amount, you can make the deposit through:
Bank account that will be provided by our email address: email@example.com.
Official Paypal account firstname.lastname@example.org (this is the only one we currently use).
After confirming the receipt of the deposit, we will send you the confirmation of your reservation through a Certificate of Registration.
If the payment was made in advance, the Registration Certificate ensures an open reservation that can be used on any date until December 2023, with priority to reserve the dates you are going to travel.
We will also send you the Bio-Safety and Coexistence Regulation, the Book of Animals rescued in RAREC and the Guide to prepare your trip to RAREC.